Using video input in Squeak

Rob Hensley HensleyRj at Rockhurst.edu
Mon Aug 2 15:05:42 UTC 2004

Hello all,

I'm not sure if anyone is aware of how the interactive WebCam program (http://minnow.cc.gatech.edu/squeak/1853) works, but -- as many of you may remember -- I am atempting something very similar. I am not using a webcam (I am using a video camera) or the WebCam/VideoFlow packages/classes (I am using the VideoAndImageProcessing package -- specifically the DShowVideoController class -- to extract/manipulate the video image). I am finding it difficult to see how the video input and the "ball" object are 1) joined together and 2) made to interact with one another.

If anyone has some insight into the process (one of the authors?), I would appreciate any suggestions. I am specifically interested in what kind of object the video input actually is: is it a Form (as it is in the DShowVideoController class), or a ColorMap, or a Morph (or something else), or does it get converted into a Morph and used that way (that's how I am trying to do it!)? I assume the yellow ball is a Morph object; how is the collision detection handled?

Thanks in advance for all of your time and assistence!
Rob

	-----Original Message-----
	From: squeak-dev-bounces at lists.squeakfoundation.org on behalf of Yoshiki Ohshima
	Sent: Sun 7/25/2004 8:17 AM
	To: The general-purpose Squeak developers list
	Subject: Re: Using video input in Squeak

	  Hello,

	> This approach doesn't result in the fatal crash, but I do get an "Error:
	> DirectShow: True" error.

	  This error simply indicates that you were trying to initialize the
	subsystem when it is already initialized.  One thing you can do is
	call the class side #shutdown method once and it shouldn't raise this
	error.

	  In regards to the multi-threaded code, you should use the WorldState
	class #addDeferredUIMessage: to avoid the race condition.

	-- Yoshiki