The future of SM...

Stephan Rudlof sr at evolgo.de
Tue Aug 3 00:16:35 UTC 2004

Lex,

lex at cc.gatech.edu wrote:
> Stephan Rudlof <sr at evolgo.de> wrote:
>
>>One remark regaring mixing: I think it is possible to mix.
>>
>>But in this case, the 'measurement' of compatibility (needed for the
>>DepS system in my mind) between different packages (requires, conflicts)
>>and between different package releases of one package ('compatibility
>>code' in recent terminology) is more work for the maintainers.
>>E.g. they had to give some hints about how compatible a package from one
>>universe is in the other one, in *addition* to the normal hints about
>>how compatible it is in just one.
>

> Note that the "hint" could be:
>
> 	A addPackage: P

this hint doesn't help. Just adding the package to another universe
doesn't say anything about its compatibility in it. You need another
'measurement' related to the new universe. At least as I see a
reasonable compatibility measurement, see
  http://minnow.cc.gatech.edu/squeak/3792
(what do you think about it? Note: not finished yet.).

Greetings
Stephan

--
Stephan Rudlof (sr at evolgo.de)