Squeak 3.8 status

stéphane ducasse ducasse at iam.unibe.ch
Mon Aug 2 13:13:14 UTC 2004

Hi lex

We are all volunteers and we do a lot during our nights. And I'm sorry
but if one person would help doug the process would go faster.  At one
point in time I was the only harvester and I can tell you that when
marcus joined it was a great feeling.

Lex my main point is that if somebody payed to code in Squeak would
spend 1 hour every three days
then this would make a big boost.

So I disagree with you, steven cannot say we need shorter iteration
cycles, stabler versions and not participate. There are certainly some
problems with the current process but it starts to work.
Now we have to improve it this is clear, but without BFAV we would be
nowhere right now. (Thanks for all the people that are working to
improve it. This is really important).
I remember the SqueakC time where not funny, cool compiler fixes where
simply lost (certainly because of time problems too).

I think that for example a Guide for eToy and Multimedia is NEEDED. I
was discussing this issue off-line with the other guides. Now if you
find a guru in each the part of Squeak then this is clear that the
current process is not efficient enough still having another person
browsing your code is always good.
At least for me I really appreciate that someone have a look at my
fixes because sometimes I'm idiot, tired, or thinking to something
else.

Stef