Squeak 3.8 status

goran.krampe at bluefish.se goran.krampe at bluefish.se
Tue Aug 3 18:42:35 UTC 2004

Hi people!

Karl Ramberg <karl.ramberg at chello.se> wrote:
> lex at cc.gatech.edu wrote:
> > > There is always room for improvments. But some decitions have to be made.
> > > Should we split the image into packages? When is this going to happen ?
> > > How is packages maintained? Who maintain them ?
> >
> > Should we split?  Yes when easy, no when hard.
> >
> > When?  How about now?
>
> Adam Spitz made some image splitting code a while ago.
> Let's hope that goes into 3.8.

Let us instead hope someone picks it up, works through it and adapts it
so that it can go into 3.8 in pieces. Like I did with some of that stuff
(it neeeded work because bits rot). Anyway, what I mean is that things
don't magically "go into" 3.8. Things go in if someone works for it.

Anyway, as always I think "small steps" is the way to go. We have some
stewards/maintainers lined up and the first step is IMHO to get
PackageInfo instances into the image (using the stream) so that we can
clearly stakeout a few areas. Then we can continue using BFAV/update
stream to maintain those parts, but the difference is that we have
people assigned and responsible.

Small steps.

regards, Göran