Squeak for teaching mathematics at high school / collage

Christian ck at ifi.uio.no
Wed Aug 4 12:14:53 UTC 2004

I am writing my main subject in informatics at the University of
Oslo/Norway.
>From time to time I have been stand-in teacher in mathematics at high school
myself.

My treatise has the subject interactive use of computer as aid in
education/teaching mathematics (in high school). I want to look at Squeak,
and try to find out to what extent it could be suitable for use in
mathematics in high school (in Norway the sixth forms of comprehensive
school/collage)

I apply to the Squeak mailing list for advice and information:
Has anyone used Squeak for teaching mathematics at high school / collage?
(Arranged their lessons in mathematics with Squeak in mind)

One interesting question for me to discuss is also whether Squeak not only
could be useful to learn mathematics in general (as for example to
understand many phenomena in nature), but also to look at possible concrete
use for syllabus of mathematics in high school / collage.

If someone has experience here: Is there any subject in mathematics that are
more easily consistent/compatible with Squeak ?
Maybe in calculation of probability?

I will be more than thankful for any help.

Best regards, and sunshine from Norway
Christian Kloumann
ck at ifi.uio.no