Wrapping COM

Torsten Bergmann astares at gmx.de
Wed Aug 4 22:00:40 UTC 2004

Hello Windows Squeakers,

someone asked about a COM library wrapper in Squeak.
So I started a little test to check if it's possible
to wrap the ole32.dll using FFI. A first basic version is
attached. It' very basic and just tries to wrap the
COM GUID/ProgID behavior.

Unfortunately I have a side effect when I use MS Office:

  COMGUID fromProgID: 'Excel.Application'

returns a valid GUID and

  COMGUID fromProgID: 'Word.Application'

returns a zero-GUID (caused by a failing call to) if use "^result"
at the end of the method COMGUID>>fromString:.

If I change this method to return: "^result asString" I get
a valid GUID for Word and a zero-GUID for Excel.

Is anyone able to reproduce this? If so any ideas about the
reason?

To Andreas: Havent recently looked at the VM sources. When
and how (parameters) is COM initialized in the windows VM
(calls to CoInitialize() or CoInitializeEx())?

Thx
Torsten