squeak to meet databases

John M McIntosh johnmci at smalltalkconsulting.com
Thu Aug 5 18:09:25 UTC 2004

I'm sure I've seen some code that lets you talk to mysql via the socket
layer.

but really you should look at the glorp work.

http://www.smalltalkpro.com/squeakextras.html

Beyond the whole issue of read/writing data to the database, you need
to make that information into objects over on the smalltalk side.
Glorp handles all of this with ease.

On Aug 5, 2004, at 8:04 AM, Kamil Kukura wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I would like to first point out that I don't intent to compare here
> databases like relational vs. object ones. It's all about getting
> squeak and ubiquitous world of relational databases together.
>
> When trying to attract web developers from environments such as PHP,
> ASP or JSP, I'm badly missing a thing to show as how Squeak deals with
> external databases. Perhaps best way to connect to any DB is to use
> ODBC which scares me as it relies on FFI
> <http://minnow.cc.gatech.edu/squeak/2424>
> .NET people have ADO, Perl/Ruby builds on DBI, Javists rely on JDBC,
> "C" hard workers stick to ODBC and PHPers go almost native though they
> also have something: http://adodb.sourceforge.net/
>
> So I'm thinking what would be nice to have to show up with more
> databases Squeak can natively talk to. Right now I consider to do some
> work on "SqDBC". At first, it would be a package containing ODBC and
> ODBCEnh as its default database driver. Then I would like to "grow up"
> PostgreSQL package in the way it would become SqDBC driver (and
> upgrade it to protocol 3 as well). Then add some connection pooling to
> SqDBC.
> I know it looks quite "javish" as their JDBC but I don't know if is
> there better "natural" approach.
>
> --
> Kamil Kukura

===