Regular Expressions

Ned Konz ned at bike-nomad.com
Mon Aug 9 02:20:29 UTC 2004

Dan Winkler wrote:
> I'm using the 3.7gamma1 image and the Squeak 3.7.4Beta1 virtual machine
> for Mac.  My first question is do I need to find an external plugin file
> for regular expressions?  I saw a release note for a much older version
> of Squeak saying that regular expressions were built in now (as you
> would expect these days).

Hi Dan,

There are currently two different VMs that work with Mac OS X. The
"Unix" one (from Ian's site) has the regex plugin compiled in. However,
it appears that the "Mac OS" one doesn't have it. I don't know why;
perhaps John McIntosh could be convinced to add it.

For now you could get one of the other regex packages from SqueakMap;
there is one that is written in pure Smalltalk and doesn't require the
Regex plugin to run. I haven't compared both of them yet, but unless you
do one of:

* re-compile the Mac OS VM to include the regex plugin
* use the Mac version of the Unix VM, or
* convince John to include it in the "official" Mac VM

it will be the only way to get regexes working on your Mac.

On my Mac I use the Unix VM, which does seem to work well. I don't know
what I'm missing by using it rather than the "Mac OS" one, other than
the Applescript/Objective C interfaces.

John, what's the current difference between these two VMs?

--
Ned Konz
http://bike-nomad.com