potential bug - condenseSources

mds zenporcupinegrind at breathe.com
Mon Aug 9 09:00:01 UTC 2004

boris,

On Sunday, August 8, 2004, at 10:16  pm, Boris Gaertner wrote:

> That jpeg-image shows two windows: The debugger and a
> small window titled "Syntax Error" That small window is infrequently
> seen, it tells you that you
> * either attempted to read a chuck of code from a damaged file
> * or accessed a chunck of code using an invalid code position
>    pointer
>
> Whatever happened, the small window indicates that your image
> and the supportive files are currently badly out of synch.

hmmm, indeed. precisely why i was so concerned/confused in the first
place!

> Have you load the patch into an image that you previously
> used in a failed attempt to condense the sources? That would
> not help. You should file in the patch into a *fresh* image before
> you try the source condensation for the first time.

no no no. all attempts at source condensation were applied to fresh
default images; in some instances, i copied the default image to a new
filename such as 37base.image (+ 37base.changes of course) but the img
itself was 'fresh'. In addition, I don't get such syntax error windows
when doing day-to-day work (ie the source/changes method pointers are
correct until I attempt to condense).

> <snip>
> After a failed attempt to condense either the changes or the sources,
> one should *not* save the image. It is then possible to go back
> to the old changes / sources (they are renamed and kept in your
> working directory; to reactivate them, you simple give them their
> original  names.)

indeed; like I stated above, I've been working from fresh copies of the
default img every time I try to condense, and when it fails, no saving
occurs!

cheers for now,