"Tests" categories

Kamil Kukura kamk at volny.cz
Mon Aug 9 09:31:25 UTC 2004

> Yes, we decided this sometime while in 3.7a. The idea is that Tests are
> (or should be) a interesting form
> of documentation: If you need an example, look at the test.

Hmm, so in Package Browser (maybe better name would be Category Browser)
there are now items like "Text", "Exceptions" with just Tests inside. To
me this seems making image more messy.

I was once thinking about idea to provide some kind of voting system. It
could be a web application or it could be integrated into system
browser. The idea is to provide for given class, protocol or method a
voting results as what is others' opinion about destiny of specific
item. For example, for classes/methods I was thinking about
classification like: "basic stone of universe", "hard life without it",
"too cool to miss", "goodie thing (go packaged)", "useful only sometimes
(go packaged)" and so on to things being deprecated, obsolete,
forgotten, etc. Another aspect would bear placement - it is "right in
place", "doesn't fit well", "inappropriate position" and so on.

However, now I see that squeak tend towards "append-only" system, so I'm
silentely forgetting above. Maybe more anticipated thing would be
presence of special classes (now 'class' is rather legacy world) for
storing resources: rich texts, images, sounds, videos etc.

I must admit that it takes time to convince myself just not to care
what's in the image. Taken that the best way to deliver a good thing to
final user is to only copy programmer's disk, makes world much simplier..

--
Kamil