Help on Swiki: NetNameResolver

Jochen F. Rick nadja at cc.gatech.edu
Mon Aug 9 17:41:24 UTC 2004

I think I found a bug in Squeak's networking and I was wondering if
somebody could help me out. It may be causing the Swikis to have problems.

The bug appears to be in NetNameResolver. NetNameResolver uses a
semaphore to keep it from resolving more than one address at a time. This
seems OK, except that sometimes that semaphore gets locked down. My guess
is that there was an error (i.e. primitive failed, etc.) and that caused
the semaphore to remain locked. Unfortunately, I can't replicate this
happening as it happens so rarely. So, I'm unable to track it down.

Could someone who knows the code see if there is a way to avoid this from
happening. For instance, could we put an ifError: thing in there?

BTW, so far, I've only observed this bug happening on solaris and
linux. Is there a chance of a VM bug?

Peace and Luck!

Je77

Jochen "Je77" Rick                               jochen.rick at cc.gatech.edu
PhD Student                                           http://www.je77.com/
Georgia Tech College of Computing                       work: 404-385-1105