Squeak Map server is down?

Andreas Raab andreas.raab at gmx.de
Tue Aug 10 14:36:57 UTC 2004

Hm... does anyone besides me see the irony of this thread considering Gorans
recent rant on the dangers of package universes?! To quote Goran:

> But I am very afraid of the effects when people start setting up their
> own little maps all over the place with lots of duplication, redundancy,
> synch problems, servers being down/up, servers simply being unknown
> etc... well. Obviously this doesn't scare you at all, which I don't
> understand why.
>
> These are the things I can already hear:
>
> "Hey! Where did you find that? Oh, I didn't know about *that* server....
> Hmmm, it isn't up now, do you have a copy you can email me?"

It seems that a decentralized system (as always) outperforms any centralized
one when it comes to resiliency. Point in case: While SM is down and out,
the package universes are up and running.

Cheers,
  - Andreas