Subject: Re: Squeak Map server is down?

Colin Putney cputney at wiresong.ca
Tue Aug 10 17:22:29 UTC 2004

On Aug 10, 2004, at 11:10 AM, Andreas Raab wrote:

>> "Hey! Where did you find that? Oh, I didn't know about *that*
>> server....
>> Hmmm, it isn't up now, do you have a copy you can email me?"
>
> The concern here is that having multiple universes reduces the
> availability
> of packages; however (case in point) if your one central server is down
> you're dead in the water. What I find ironic about it is that what
> we've
> seen today is the exact opposite of the above concern (the central
> server
> down, the decentralized structure coming to the rescue) and that
> strikes me
> as very ironic indeed considering that all of this happened within
> about 24
> hours ;-)

It's also important to consider the distinction between a single map
available from multiple servers and multiple maps.

If SqueakMap were mirrored, failure of a single server would make no
difference - SM clients could fall back to the mirrors. In a more
distributed system where you have multiple maps, it's possible to have
partial outages, where most of the the map is available, but the
packages from a given server are not. Yes, it's certainly possible set
up mirrors to avoid partial outages, but I suspect this is less likely
to happen in the "more distributed" scenario - probably only for big,
important servers.

As far as I can tell, Göran has never been against multiple servers
(that is to say, mirrors for SqueakMap), but is vehemently against
multiple maps.

Personally, I'm not arguing either way here, just pointing out that
this robustness argument doesn't really apply to the question of
whether or not the *map* should be centralized.

Colin