Choosing an OS for the Dual athlon...

Jason Rogers jason.rogers at riskmetrics.com
Fri Aug 13 13:58:03 UTC 2004

On Friday 13 August 2004 12:36 pm, Alan Grimes wrote:
> After a two and a half month outage, I finaly have a new HD for my dual
> athlon.
>
> The most recient version of Leenooks on hand is SuSE 8.0. =\
>
> I would like to find the best OS for Squeak develment and develment of
> my own OS project, Sphere, with a L4/psitachio environment.
>
> BeOS is currently out of the picture because it can't boot on the Dual
> athlon.
> Windows would cost me $610 (which I don't have).
>
> I strongly dislike bloated desktop environments such as KDE.
>
> One further limitation of my current setup is that the dual athlon does
> not have direct internet access, It can only FTP files from my BeOS
> machine. =\

You could try a LiveCD (eg. Knoppix), but you don't like the bloated KDE.

You can grab a Gentoo Linux LiveCD (gentoo.org) and install only what's
desired as a GRP install.

As far as non-bloated WMs, try Flux/BlackBox/IceWM/etc.  They are all
lightweight.  I have all three installed on my machine and use them
regularly.  The choice of when to use one is dependent on how much resource I
think I need to available (if KDE is going to chew up too much I go with one
of these).  The choice of /which/ one to use at the time is a highly
scientific approach... what are my iTasteBuds longing for at the time. ;-)

Hope that helps.

--
Jason Rogers
117 N. First Street