[ENH] SetInspector (23112)

Anthony Hannan ajhannan at yahoo.com
Fri Aug 13 18:43:20 UTC 2004

Hi again Andrew,

Anthony Hannan <ajh18 at cornell.edu> wrote:

> "Andrew P. Black" <black at cse.ogi.edu> wrote:
> > If I put the "normal" variables back into the Dictionary Inspector
> > (in addition to the keys), would you then be happy to see the
> > debugger inspectors change class?
>
> I am still inclined to only show what is relevant in the context. The context
> is the code you are looking at. Your looking at the inside of an object (how
it
> is implemented) so you want to see the inside view, not the outside view. The
> extra outside view (dictionary keys, for example) adds more clutter, and adds
> more that can break or slowdown while in the debugger itself.

I have changed my mind and now like your proposal. A regular inspector is
already and internal view of an object, so it shouldn't be different from the
debugger view. And making the inspector more informative by showing both the
internal view (instance variabls) and a common outer view (common derived
values like dictinary keys) helps you see the object better.

Cheers,
Anthony