[Smallwiki] Re: Adding something to the Squeak website...

Andreas Gerdes squeakdev at skalarsoft.com
Fri Aug 13 22:31:11 UTC 2004

Hannes Hirzel schrieb:

>I did manual image saves for a certain time as well. Now with the
>last update Chris Burkert did it is now again SWImageStorage and it
>works fine so far.
>
>A tip: Check with the process browser if you have some processes
>hanging (Chris mentioned that).
>
>And check the version you have got:
>
>0.9.23-5 and 0.9.23-6 were added relatively recently by Chris
>( ~ 2 months ago).

I had the afore-mentioned problems ONE week ago...

Just for a trial of getting content from one image to another via XML, I
loaded SmallWiki today into a fresh 3.6 basic, and tried SWImageStorage
once again, too.

I did NOT follow the hint in the default workspace: "To test your
configuration you might want to execute the following code to force a
snapshot right now:
    server storage snapshot."
I stopped the server, set up the storage with a very short delay, saved
my image from the worldmenu, started the server again, called it from
Mozilla and edited a page. [Really in this order? I don't remember]
The first snapshot did not execute after the chosen delay, be patient in
this case. After some minutes, the snapshot was taken and from then on
all went well.

If you've got a problem, in the process browser there's not only the
process named "SmallWiki Semaphore", but at least one named "wait:
delay", it belongs to smallWiki, too.
My experience: whatever the storage strategy, after a manual snapshot,
even if you set it to nil again, these processes will still be alive.
It's no fun to do it in such a guess-this guess-that way, but I'm not
experienced enough to debug it.
Tomorrow I will do it again and write down the exact order ;-)
My OS is WinXP.

Andreas