A More Inclusive Community-Based Model for Squeak Development

Alexander Lazarević Alexander at Lazarevic.de
Sat Aug 14 09:02:14 UTC 2004

Hi Ned!

Just a few comments:

> To talk about what is in a distribution and what distributions share
> in common, we must be able to name the packages. This is a task that
> has been started several times (most recently with TFNR) but has not
> been finished. This is /essential/ for my proposal to work, because as
> soon as we share packages (which we are) we must be able to both take
> responsibility for them and to talk about changes to them.

I also think that this is a root problem and many other problems just
exist because of that.

> Similarly, if there were a single timeline that could show in one
> place threads on squeak-dev, new changes to Minnow, new blog postings
> on SqP, new forum posts on Squeakland, etc., it would be easier to
> follow the pulse of the community by reading (or subscribing to) a
> single resource.

When SqP came along I thought "Oh please, not another web site to check
for squeak news". Back then (for local readers: a long time ago) I
hacked something to give me at least an overview [1] about what is
happening on various mailing lists and on the SqueakSwiki. This is still
very very basic. Recently I uploaded Sqim to SqueakSource that makes
this overview available from inside Squeak and offers the possibility to
broadcast short news lines. This is also very rudimentary and the
Morphic part needs some serious work. Unfortunately I can't invest any
time into that right now, but none the less I think this could work as a
starting point in the future.

Alex

[1] http://laza.homeip.net/cgi-bin/sqim.pl