Unable to run Squeak server on Linux

Ned Konz ned at bike-nomad.com
Wed Aug 18 13:41:09 UTC 2004

On Tuesday 17 August 2004 10:26 am, Frantisek Fuka wrote:
> I have Squeak image with running RFB server. When I run this image on
> my Windows computer, I can use VNC to connect to this computer and
> work remotely without problems.
>
> Now, I want to use the same image to run on my Linux server which has
> no graphics environment installed. (It's Slackware.) I installed Linux
> VM (Squeak-3.6-3/i686-pc-linux-gnu) and copied the files from the
> Windows Squeak to my Linux directory - renamed to squeak.image,
> squeak.changes and SqueakV3.sources.
>
> When I try running this image using "squeak -vm display=none", I get
> about 30 lines of "iconv_open: Invalid argument" and then nothing
> happens. It seems that Squeak is running and I can stop it using
> Ctrl+C. However, I cannot connect to it using VNC.

I am running a Swiki in headless mode using:

/usr/local/bin/squeak -vm-sound-null -vm-display-null -mmap 300M squeak.image

But there may be some issues with your language settings that are causing
problems with iconv.

Please look at the Squeak man page for guidance on this.

Have you tried unsetting or changing the iconv-related environment variables
(LC_ALL, LC_CTYPE, etc.)?

There are a number of Squeak settings having to do with character conversion.
It is possible that a default character set that is being used by Squeak is
not set up on your system. You may need to either change the choice of
character sets in Squeak or install a conversion on your system for iconv.

The defaults are (I think):

  -encoding <enc>       set the internal character encoding (default:
MACINTOSH)
  -pathenc <enc>        set encoding for pathnames (default: UTF-8)
  -textenc <enc>        set encoding for external text (default: UTF-8)

Since you're probably set up for Czech, it's possible that some of your locale
settings are causing problems.

What do you get when you run 'locale'?

How about

locale -m | egrep 'MACINTOSH|UTF-8|ISO-8859-15'

--
Ned Konz
http://bike-nomad.com