Voluntering to be the integrator of the Full Image

Marcus Denker denker at iam.unibe.ch
Thu Aug 19 13:06:39 UTC 2004

Hi,

We discussed that some more at lunch... and we think that one thing is
realy important: We need to think
carefuly about the properties of the packages that we want (and don't
want) for packages in full:

1) Multi Plattform. It makes no sense to add a package that only works
on windows (that one was simple)
2) No changes to 3.7.

This is important: A package in full has to be a package that is purely
add-on. If it changes the base system, we
would get a image that is not 3.7 anymore.

So packages that are included can add methods and classes, but they
shouln't change methods. It would be nice
to have no changed methods at all. Maybe that will not be possible at
first, but it clealy should be the goal...

And in the long run, we should investigate if it is possible for a
package to change the system privately in a way
that this change is only visible for that package.

Alexandre has some very nice experiments in that direction (aka
ClassBoxes).

     Marcus