Squat progress 19 August 2004: successful imprintings, call for tests

Craig Latta craig at netjam.org
Fri Aug 20 01:00:58 UTC 2004

Hi--

	I just experienced an amusing imprinting session. The main application
I'm transferring happened to evaluate (HttpAdaptor dataTimeout), which
sends Object>>binding. To transfer the latter method, the source system
must immediately define and initialize a global variable method literal
("Binding") in the target system. Doing *that* requires defining a
couple other classes (BindingsAccessor and DynamicBindings) and
initializing them, and defining and signalling a new Exception subclass
(BindingsLocator).

	Well, it all worked. The amusing part is that the target system
(basically Dan's 2.2 mini snapshot) had no exception-handling support at
the outset; it got imprinted inline as a side effect. :)

	So, I think this stuff actually works... I plan to make a new release
soon, so that others can try to find things that the imprinter can't
deal with. In the meantime, I'd appreciate any test suggestions (like
the HttpAdaptor one-liner above).

	thanks,

-C

--