REGEX test (was: Re: Testing Full image assembling 2)

Tim Rowledge tim at sumeru.stanford.edu
Mon Aug 23 02:42:48 UTC 2004

Ned Konz <ned at bike-nomad.com> wrote:

> On Sunday 22 August 2004 3:25 am, Lic. Edgar J. De Cleene wrote:
>
> > I could do a battery of test if someone could design one.
>
> Avi also offered to do this; you might want to contact him. This is what I
> said to him that I was interested in:
>
> I'd like to compare:
>
> * regex capabilities: is one more capable than the other?
> * ease of use: can we drop it into new code easily?
> * speed: how about parsing big files?
Exactly. An important point (to me) is that the person writing the tests
needs to know just what a good regex is suposed to do. I don't, ergo I
couldn't write the tests.

and...
> > Speed is so important with machines of 21 century ?
Consider that a lot of such machines are 200MHz cpus with minimal caches
and slow memory (ie PDAs) Speed _does_ matter. It is my belief that
morphic would be a whole load better optimised if the people doing most
of its development had been restricted to machines half as fast as
everyone else was using.

tim
Useful random insult:- Her dentist went deaf from the drill's echoes.