[BUG] isAbsolute: not understood by UnixFileDirectory

Ned Konz ned at bike-nomad.com
Tue Aug 24 02:41:16 UTC 2004

On Monday 23 August 2004 2:54 pm, black at cse.ogi.edu wrote:
> isAbsolute: is defined on MacFileDirectory, but in this walkback itios
> being sent to the class variable DirectoryClass, defined in
> FileDirectory, and whose value is UnixFileDirectory.  I'm not sure why
> this is so (since differernt subclasses of FileDirectory should
> presumably have different DirectoryClass'es).  Maybe it should be a
> class instance variable?  Or maybe MacFileDirectory>>#fullNameFor: , the
> only method outside of the FileDirectory class to access this variable,
> should not be doing so?

Actually, I believe that the problem is that there's a lot of code that
assumes that there is a single directory class that can be asked for things
like:

* filename separator
* absoluteness
* root directories

etc.

And of course it's being used to answer queries having to do with arbitrary
path names.

But I think that since there is assumed to be a global namespace for files,
then we should make sure that the file directory classes can all respond to
isAbsolute:.

--
Ned Konz
http://bike-nomad.com