Lessons learnt from been an integrator

Marcus Denker denker at iam.unibe.ch
Tue Aug 24 14:51:00 UTC 2004

Am 24.08.2004 um 15:57 schrieb Hannes Hirzel:

> Hello,
>
> stéphane ducasse wrote:
>> Hi all
>>
>> here are the lessons we learnt while building the 3.7 image. We wanted
>> to have shout, rb, connector
>> morph in 3.7 but there were too much patches.
>
> What do you mean by this? Did the packages not load? Or did they
> overwrite
> important methods?
They overwrite many methods. It makes no sense at all to have a system
in beta for 4 Months and then change stuff a week before a release.

> How did you find out?

By looking at the code?

> Thank you Stef for this report.
>
> I learn that it is not possible to integrate Ned's connector morphs.
> What is the reason? Did you contact Ned? He is often amazing how fast
> he fixes things. I remember that he recently put out a new release.
> As SM is down currently I cannot check.

Ned posted *a lot* of fixed for morphic to the list. Many of those are
required
for Connectors, but not all of them got added to 3.7.

> It would be very nice to have the connector morphs in 3.7 full. Or
> perhaps
> it is not a good idea to integrate something which
> has not been retested. I would be willing to retest 3.7 full with Ned's
> connector morphs included. However this will surely add a few days
> more.

There is no way to add connectors to 3.7, as we can't add all the
patches.

Maybe people should have put some effort into integrating all the stuff
into 3.7
when it was possible, but somehow nobody wanted to do that back then. I
wrote
lots of mails to the list that there is work to be done with regard to
harvesting, but
everyone seems to be thinking that it is not important.

     Marcus