Lessons learnt from been an integrator

Avi Bryant avi at beta4.com
Wed Aug 25 17:09:51 UTC 2004

On Aug 25, 2004, at 6:22 PM, Colin Putney wrote:

> I'd like to know what the community thinks about this. Is the default
> browser painful enough that we should replace it ASAP, even if that
> means delaying new features? Or is the default browser good enough
> that we should keep using it until OmniBrowser represents a
> substantial improvement?

My vote: replacing the default browser with OmniBrowser, even with
short term loss of functionality, is absolutely the right thing to
focus energy on for now.  I say this because OB (in its simple form, as
a framework for browser building, rather than with all the extra stuff
I know you're planning) is an enabler for all kinds of cool work.
Shout, Traits, Monticello, Chuck, and no doubt lots of other projects
we don't know about, would benefit from having the lower levels of OB
solidly in place - and neglecting them to work on the higher levels is
an opportunity cost.  It's an effort multiplier thing - first get rid
of the bottleneck of the standard browser so that everyone can play,
then go off and do the fun stuff (while watching everyone else do fun
stuff on top of the basic OB at the same time).

My 0.02 EUR,
Avi