Lessons learnt from been an integrator

Marcus Denker denker at iam.unibe.ch
Wed Aug 25 17:56:42 UTC 2004

Am 25.08.2004 um 19:09 schrieb Avi Bryant:

> On Aug 25, 2004, at 6:22 PM, Colin Putney wrote:
>
>> I'd like to know what the community thinks about this. Is the default
>> browser painful enough that we should replace it ASAP, even if that
>> means delaying new features? Or is the default browser good enough
>> that we should keep using it until OmniBrowser represents a
>> substantial improvement?
>
> My vote: replacing the default browser with OmniBrowser, even with
> short term loss of functionality, is absolutely the right thing to
> focus energy on for now.  I say this because OB (in its simple form,
> as a framework for browser building, rather than with all the extra
> stuff I know you're planning) is an enabler for all kinds of cool
> work.  Shout, Traits, Monticello, Chuck, and no doubt lots of other
> projects we don't know about, would benefit from having the lower
> levels of OB solidly in place - and neglecting them to work on the
> higher levels is an opportunity cost.  It's an effort multiplier thing
> - first get rid of the bottleneck of the standard browser so that
> everyone can play, then go off and do the fun stuff (while watching
> everyone else do fun stuff on top of the basic OB at the same time).

I'm with Avi on that one.

A very similar decicion is RB-ParseTrees vs. Colins new CodeModel. I
think that Colin's stuff is the right direction in the long run, but
we should think about moving in the stuff that's already there and not
delay just because something even better is imaginable.

(This is a common trap to run into, and we have seen it a lot in
Squeak. If all that "not perfect" improvements that have been discussed
  would have been implemented, the system would be much better now.)

So I'd like to see OB on the tools front, and RB-ParseTrees+ the new
Compiler and the RB Engine down under. Just as a first step.

After that is done, we should extend/replace the stuff with the
CodeModel. Great stuff will be possible with a scheme that Colin is
implementing.

     Marcus