functionality of Socket>>socketError

Tim Rowledge tim at sumeru.stanford.edu
Wed Aug 25 19:32:19 UTC 2004

John Pfersich <jp1660 at att.net> wrote:

> I'd like to make a suggestion to the VM maintainers.  It would be
> nice to get the actual error message back from the OS, but one that
> would be platform independent, so that a developer could, if they
> choose, try to recover from the error.
It's quite tricky to get both actual and platform independent - but
worth trying and int the case of sockets it might be plausible since so
many socket apis are based on bsd.
> I think it would be nice to have a new primitive that returns a
> platform independent code  instead of the raw error code. Then we
> could add a new method that gives the developer access to that value.
Nah, that's not the way to implement it. The problem with that is, as
John mentioned, the time domain validity. A global error flag is a
truly dumb idea.

I have code that allows a prim to return an error code as a virtual
method temp. That allows you to check quite precisely what the actual
error was _from that prim_. Using the new stuff well requires quite a
lot of work to make prims actually return a meaningful value so don't
expect it soon. It also requires a recompile of every method calling a
prim and quite possibly some work on the external prim calling stuff.

tim
"Bother!" said Pooh, as Piglet pressed <START> on the Microwave...