Progress on 64-bit port

Peter Crowther peter at ozzard.org
Sat Aug 28 09:13:42 UTC 2004

> From: [...] Dan Winkler
> Would there ever be a reason to prefer a 64 bit
> architecture over a 32 bit one for applications that are known to fit
> in less than 4 gigabytes of RAM?

If you were doing something that used integers (or fixed-point values)
between 32 and 64 bits in length, a 64-bit architecture would help.  In
Squeak, one would still need to modify SmallInteger to handle 63-bit values,
however.

Also, matching the CPU's own architecture tends to help speed-wise.  I'm
sure the processor gurus on this list will have more to say about it!

		- Peter