Shrinking

SmallSqueak smallsqueak at rogers.com
Sun Aug 29 10:59:03 UTC 2004

Pavel Krivanek wrote:

> Yes and no. These classes aren't necessary for system
> functionality but if you remove them, there will be some
> wrong references in source codes.
>
> For example, try to modify (add space somewhere etc.) and
> recompile method
> ChangeSet>>checkForConversionMethods manually. I will get
> error messages from compiler.

	In the full image:

		ReadWriteStream subclass: #RWBinaryOrTextStream

	In the shrinked image:

		Object subclass: #RWBinaryOrTextStream

	ReadWriteStream  still exists in the shrinked image.

	The snippet of ChangeSet>>checkForConversionMethods
	in the shrinked image that caused the error:

	needConversion _ false.
	list _ OrderedCollection new.
	smart _ SmartRefStream on: (RWBinaryOrTextStream on: '12345').

	Neither RWBinaryOrTextStream nor any of its superclasses has
	an implementation for selector on:

	How come ? Would the experts please explain.

	Cheers,

	PhiHo.