3.7gamma2 candidate basic image

Doug Way dway at mailcan.com
Sun Aug 29 19:11:27 UTC 2004

On Sunday, August 29, 2004, at 05:44 AM, Marcus Denker wrote:

> Am 28.08.2004 um 17:25 schrieb Lic. Edgar J. De Cleene:
>
>> Marcus, Steff:
>> Very nice .
>> Gentle Introduction to Smalltalk is a beautiful add, but we lost any
>> beginner info about Games.
>
> Yes, I did see this, and then decided to just stick the intro there.
> The games
> are easily availabe via the Objects Tool.
>

> <Links>
>
> You could put an a huge amout of time into improving that stuff that
> is in the image.
> (I personaly thing it needs to be completely redone)
>
> But:
> We should  release 3.7 *as soon as possible* and not spend now weeks
> on the full image. That needs to be done while there is time, not when
> there
> is no time.

Agreed.  We could allow a couple more days of testing but if no
show-stopping bugs appear we should release the existing gamma2 images
as 3.7 final.

Edgar's comments would be relevant for 3.8, though.  Yeah, there's a
lot of good stuff that could be done with the intro projects.

For what it's worth, I gave the g2Full image a quick test by opening
all of the packages registered in the "open..." menu, and fiddling with
them.  Everything seems to be working.  The only obvious problem I
noticed was that the default page for Scamper ("browser:about") doesn't
seem to work.  Perhaps the default page should be changed to squeak.org
or the swiki.  (And I guess this means changing the package... the
guides/harvesters should really have automatic co-maintainer access
somehow to any SM packages registered as "Full".  Maybe this should be
a to-do for 3.8.)

Also, I don't know offhand how to set up Celeste to test it.  Has
anyone verified that Celeste works as included in the g2Full image?

- Doug