Can't install MySQL driver

Brian Brown rbb at techgame.net
Tue Aug 31 15:36:15 UTC 2004

On Aug 31, 2004, at 9:05 AM, Dan Winkler wrote:

> Thanks for the info, Michael.
>
> So if I want to use MySQL, I'll have to go back to an older image than
> 3.7gamma, right?  Do you happen to know which image would be
> preferred?
>
> And if I want to use a serious relational database with the current
> image it would have to be PostgreSQL, right?
>
> Which of these approaches do most people use when they want to use a
> database with Squeak?  Or do people use databases with Squeak?
>
> More particularly, I'm interested in what database solution people use
> with Seaside since databases are so useful for so many types of web
> applications.  I know I could consider some kind of object oriented
> database like GOODS, but that seems to offer only persistence, not the
> automatic indexing and fast searching on any part of the data that SQL
> databases can do.

I've build Seaside apps using Postgres and GOODS. On the GOODS side, I
use BTree indexes and have created an IndexManager class to deal with
them. It works pretty well so far, I do have a couple of issues that
need to be ironed out before I release it.

I also used the ODBC driver with MS Access, but it was rather unstable
for me. I didn't have time to troubleshoot it, but switched to
Postgres... which, btw was incredibly faster on the same tables (I used
pgadmin II to convert them from Access).

Brian