ODBC connection

lex at cc.gatech.edu lex at cc.gatech.edu
Wed Dec 1 12:55:08 UTC 2004

Avi Bryant <avi.bryant at gmail.com> wrote:
> Yes, the VW port has Oracle support, which could be pulled over very
> easily.  The problem is finding a reasonable way to connect to an
> Oracle database from Squeak.  Because the ODBC lib uses FFI, it's
> synchronous - your whole VM will hang while you wait for the results
> of a query.  What I've done in the past is build a simple Java app
> that accepts queries on a socket, uses the JDBC driver to get results,
> and then sends them back, but this isn't terribly performant either.
> A proper Oracle plugin would be great, if anyone has time or money for
> one...

Also, of course, one could fork() multiple Squeak's and have each of
them talk to the database server via ODBC.  Each individual Squeak is
still synchronous, but you can run a few of them in parallel to balance
things back out.

OSProcess has both fork() and system(), so you can use it to create the
extra Squeak processes however you like.

Lex