Monticello and Teams

Stephen Pair stephen at pairhome.net
Wed Dec 1 14:16:13 UTC 2004

stéphane ducasse wrote:

> Do you know one bundle on store that contains such a kind of scripts ;))

Actually, no, but I'm guessing that you've published one...what is it
called?

> I agree with you. It seems that pre-requisite specs are really
> important to understand how several
> packages work together and for example should be managed all together
> (removed for example from a config map) but on the other hand you do
> not want to have a propagation of changing versions.
> So what is your practices/advices with that?
>
> Stef

Woefully in-adequate I guess.  ;)  Given the lack of modularity in the
Smalltalk system and  how difficult that issue is to tackle, I've
temporarily resolved myself to dealing with Smalltalk as it is rather
than as I wish it were.  In that context, I'm happy if I have configs
that load cleanly from some base image (I don't care about unloading or
having multiple configs loading in a single image).  I then use multiple
configs and images to manage clusters of packages that should be managed
together (where the configs may have overlapping sets of packages).
It's a simple solution that works for my immediate needs given the lack
of modularity, namespaces, etc in Smalltalk.  Of course, that solution
is entirely in-adequate for other purposes (i.e. if you're building a
worldwide interconnected object system).

- Stephen