SqueakSource: Restarted, but with Problems

Marcus Denker denker at iam.unibe.ch
Thu Dec 2 16:15:43 UTC 2004

Am 02.12.2004 um 16:59 schrieb John Pierce:

> I run my own SqueakSource server, and I thought that the meta changes
> were *always* written to disk when they occurred.  I had issues with
> SqueakSource not *reloading* the latest meta changes when squeak
> restarted, and I submitted a mcz patch 6 months ago or so that
> corrected the startup problem.
>
> I'm curious if something else happened, because I never experience
> troubles with loss of meta data on my server and I reboot my machine
> without proper squeak shutdown weekly. Thoughts?

Normally that data does get saved, too. But somehow this didn't happen.

The admins moved the home-dirs to a bigger disc.

I think that it was not shut down and then the image/changes got
copied, then,
after some time, they mounted the copy instead if the original volume.
So the running
Squeak did get a different changes file than it thought it had. Could
that explain it?

I'm not sure..

     Marcus