"A Word of Caution" to all newcomers

Joshua Scholar jscholar at access4less.net
Thu Dec 2 17:34:43 UTC 2004

I think the best thing to change to not alienate windows / mac etc users is
to remap some keys to standard bindings.

A new user of squeak can't CUT and PASTE for God's sake!  It took me three
days to find out that alt-c was doing what ctrl-c does on every other
computer I've used in the past twenty years.  I'm sure that plenty of people
less determined than me, realized that they couldn't do basic things and
gave up.

As for look and feel, lots of things like keybindings could be machine
dependent.  After all mac users have to get by with one button mice - so I
know there must be some machine specific mapping.

While I like the Squeak user interface, I wouldn't complain if it was made
more accessable by giving it a more familar look and feel.  Such things can
be optional I think.

Joshua Scholar