"A Word of Caution" to all newcomers

Joshua Scholar jscholar at access4less.net
Thu Dec 2 18:26:31 UTC 2004

All I had to do to make some of the keys work the same as windows was:
1. click the desktop,
2: select "appearance..." from the menu,
3: select "preferences..." from the submenu,
4: paste the scary dialog box that centers the mouse over "restore my
personal preferences" knowing from experience with Morphic that the first
click won't activate the button that the mouse can't escape.
5. Enter "duplicateControlAndAltKeys" into search text entry at the top.
6. Hit the search button.
7. Select the nonstandard looking duplicateControlAndAltKeys checkbox that
appears without any meaningful explanation.

I wonder why new users of Squeak won't do such a simple thing?  Lazy I
guess.

Seriously, there's an option to make the environment more friendly to new
users - and it's off by default, undocument and impossible to find.
_That's_useful_!