"A Word of Caution" to all newcomers

Joshua Scholar jscholar at access4less.net
Thu Dec 2 20:27:04 UTC 2004

From: "Andreas Raab" <andreas.raab at gmx.de>
To: "Joshua Scholar" <jscholar at access4less.net>; "The general-purpose Squeak
developers list" <squeak-dev at lists.squeakfoundation.org>
Sent: Thursday, December 02, 2004 11:18 AM
Subject: Re: "A Word of Caution" to all newcomers
> Now, if you are really interested in actively helping (contrary to only
> complaining) here is what you will do:
> a) File a bug report at http://bugs.impara.de/
> b) Post a change set fixing the issue as outlined above to this mailing
list
> c) Wait for feedback and fold it into updated versions of that change set
> d) When complete, attach the change set to the bug report
> When you do this, there is a good chance that it will be part of the next
> Squeak version (likely 3.9). But of course, that does assume you are
really
> interested in improving Squeak. Are you?
>
> Cheers,
>   - Andreas

Ok, cool.  I will definitely do that with the Set>>atRandom: bug.  I think
it would be better if others with more experience with Squeak startup should
get to this key issue before I do - after all I'd have to figure out how to
fix that one, test it etc. and frankly, other than simply changing the
setting and saving an image with the right setting I'm not sure what to
suggest - for a running image, the change set would be to immediately change
a global not to change code, but for a new Squeak version the change set
would be to change code that I don't know how to test!

Joshua Scholar