3.8 UI performance drop?

Lyndon Tremblay humasect at shaw.ca
Fri Dec 3 01:08:27 UTC 2004

----- Original Message -----
From: "Marcus Denker" <denker at iam.unibe.ch>
To: "The general-purpose Squeak developers list"
Sent: Thursday, December 02, 2004 4:03 PM
Subject: Re: 3.8 UI performance drop?

> Am 03.12.2004 um 00:51 schrieb Lyndon Tremblay:
>
> > Scratch that. With these special and new larger fonts Squeak now
> > sports,
> > without Shout, '_' is not a '->' but just a '_'. (See non-Shout
> > Workspaces)
> > And actually, depending on what state the syntax for edited code is in,
> > while Shout is highlighting, sometimes the '->' will turn into a '_'.
> >
> > Sigh. Almost =)
> >

> keep in mind that 3.9alpha is alpha. e.g. the fonts is something that
> is in need
> of a fix (to big, no ->).
>
>        Marcus

Hmm, I thought these new fonts/m17n were initially presented in 3.8 patches.
All of Squeak's present system fonts have absolutely no characters for
non-ASCII? All languages and encodings I've tried always show as Win16-style
corruption; blocks and squigglies as displayed binary. Perhaps I can at
least copy NihongoSqueak's set over to where I can use it. It also supports
IME through a plugin (ImmXx) for Windows; does the platform-dependance
prevent inclusion to base Squeak? I'd love to have Japanese language
support, NihongoSqueak(6a) does this /very/ nicely. I should look around to
see if anyone is still working on this - for Squeak itself (3.8-3.9) or the
merge of both.

-lyndon