3.8 UI performance drop?

Yoshiki Ohshima Yoshiki.Ohshima at acm.org
Fri Dec 3 01:40:56 UTC 2004

  Hello,

At Thu, 2 Dec 2004 14:39:12 -0800,
Ned Konz wrote:

> On Thursday 02 December 2004 2:18 pm, Jon Hylands wrote:
> > I had major problems of this sort with Shout performance, so I stopped
> > using it. I really like Shout, but it makes Squeak text editing so slow as
> > to be almost painful.
>
> I'd recommend doing things like syntax coloring in the background, and
> committing the changes after a bit of a delay in typing.
>
> Another possible improvement is to only update the portion of the text window
> that is actually *changed* by typing, rather than redrawing the whole text
> for every keystroke (I'm not sure whether Shout already does this).

  I don't know about Jon's setting, but in general, the TTCFont is
much slower than StrikeFonts when the color change is involved.  And
touches more and more memory especially in larger fonts.

  The bar, rounded corner, etc. shouldn't be too much trouble compared
with the text rendering.

  Just a random thought,

-- Yoshiki