Implentation of Objects

Jecel Assumpcao Jr jecel at merlintec.com
Fri Dec 3 11:40:01 UTC 2004

> On Fri, 3 Dec 2004 00:08:19 +0100, Marcus Denker <denker at iam.unibe.ch> wrote:
> > http://www.iam.unibe.ch/~ducasse/FreeBooks.html

Ryan Zerby wrote on Thu, 2 Dec 2004 16:48:53 -0800
> I've read those already before I started asking questions :) Those
> books seem to be about using smalltalk (squeak).. I want a book on how
> I would go about implementing the VM.  The nitty gritty of memory
> management with objects, and how to implement inheritance, if I were
> writing in C or assembly (say).  How to implement the interpreter
> itself.

Check that page again and read "missing chapters of the blue Book."
(link near the top of the page) and then "Smalltalk-80, Bits of History,
Words of Advice" (the "green book" near the bottom).

If you are then ready to go way beyond what Squeak does, check out
http://research.sun.com/self/compiler.html

-- Jecel