Startup Splash screen

Tim Rowledge tim at sumeru.stanford.edu
Mon Dec 6 19:43:13 UTC 2004

"Aaron Gray" <angray at beeb.net> wrote:

> okay this was because I had another instance of Squeak already running using
> the same image and changes image.

Think about the issues here - two copies of the same image running,
recording changes to the same changes file. You open the changes file
for write from the first image to get to a point where it records a
change. You try to open the changes file again for the second image.
Does your OS allow opening a file multiple times to write? Does it even
allow opening to read once it's already open for write?

And if it _does_ allow multiple writers, is it sane about it? Is Squeak
smart about it? Just for starters, imagine the confusion if you need to
later look at the file to try to recover some work.

All in all I think it's safest to recommend not trying to run the same
image multiple times.

tim
Fractured Idiom:- CA VA SANS DIRT - And that's not gossip