Startup Splash screen

Tim Rowledge tim at sumeru.stanford.edu
Mon Dec 6 20:48:09 UTC 2004

"Aaron Gray" <angray at beeb.net> wrote:

> > All in all I think it's safest to recommend not trying to run the same
> > image multiple times.
>
> Thats my point, but an average user is not necessarily going to understand
> the error message or click on ok and end up not being able to save any
> changes at a later point.
Yup. Not a good thing to happen.

> Either disallow two uses of the same image or provide a second changes file.
T'would be nice, but how to implement it? The image file is closed
after startup so we can't (?) detect the problem by looking for any
attempt to multiple-read it. Maybe there is someway to lock the changes
file to a particular process on some OSs? We can't do a 'set to only
open once' without biggish changes in the image - I did try ages ago
becasue _my_ OS doesn't let you open a file for read if it's already
open for modify (which personally I think is a good thing). In the end I
had to write an entire underlayer for my FilePlugin to fake it out. Not
a fun job.
Suggestions welcome.

> Please ignore me.
Not whilst you're raising good points...

tim
Logic is neither an art or a science but a dodge.