Smalltalk class hierarchy

Colin Putney cputney at wiresong.ca
Tue Dec 7 04:04:53 UTC 2004

On Dec 6, 2004, at 10:20 PM, Yoshiki Ohshima wrote:

> However, the whole point is that you can "do" various things with
> the Squeak browser.  You can get a subtree quickly.  You can retrieve
> the "users" of a class, or the classes refer to the class.  Etc., etc.

Aaron,

I think the above comment goes to the heart of the (no doubt
frustrating) responses you've received to your questions so far. You've
been asking for depictions of Smalltalk in various formats - as source
code in a text file, as HTML, as UML, as class inheritance diagrams.
Although some of these things do exist or could be created with a bit
of work, they're generally not in good repair because we, the Smalltalk
community, don't use them ourselves.

In general, we prefer to examine a running instance of the system
rather than inert representation of it. Occasionally you'll run across
the phrase "live objects." This is what we mean - objects that we can
put under the microscope of our development environment, poke them,
prod them and watch them twitch and throb.

The reverse is also true. When writing Smalltalk we don't first create
a source code representation of the program-to-be, and then compile and
run it. Instead, our development tools are part of the running system,
and we work by modifying the program in-place as it runs.

If you're used to working with representations, this can take a bit of
getting used to. The thought of learning how a C program works by
trawling through the heap in gdb smacks of masochism, but the Smalltalk
equivalent is much more pleasant, and our tools are all designed with
exactly this in mind.

Hope this helps,

Colin