dynamically generate a hierarchy was: Smalltalk class hierarchy

Herbert König herbertkoenig at gmx.net
Tue Dec 7 09:28:00 UTC 2004

Hello,

it would help me a lot if I could print out a hierarchy starting at
a category going down including the method names.

Maybe what I do is un-smalltalkish, so please correct me.

YO>   Speaking of poking and prodding, I would point out that there is
YO> nothing wrong to plan things upfront.  In situations where planning
The attached picture shows how I'm planning (usually for Lisp under
AutoCAD).

I use a tool named mindmanager, the nice thing is you can move things
around and fold in any branch. Top right is the problem, bottom right
is the description of the solution (features). Middle left is the
class hierarchy, blue are categories and I haven't added the method
names, which would be very time consuming.

What would help is to select a category and get an indented textual
representation down to the methods. Is there such a thing?

To bring it even further:
As I'm new to squeak I made a very bad decision, designing a class as
a subclass of morph which clearly belongs to the model. It was a good
idea at first for it gave me a quick graphical representation of
existing data and showed the possibilities and limits of morphic
graphics. Read about MVC and dependency in the free books only later
:-)) I think morpic is VC of MVC.

Now I have an ugly class containing methods for graphics and for data
manipulation.

Back to the diagram:
I would make two new classes, and drag the methods of the ugly one
partly to the new data class and partly to the new graphics class.
Actually I would like to do the same with the instance variables. Then
write a comment into the old class why it was a bad decision and keep
it.

This is the way I do it with the ideas, e.g. in writing functional
specs for me or other programmers.

How would an experienced smalltalker do this? Don't tell me he
wouldn't make the bad decision in the first place :-))

I've looked into the refactoring browser but couldn't get the hang of
it. Is this the way to go? Any pointers on how to use it?

Many questions ....

Best regards,

Herbert                            mailto:herbertkoenig at gmx.net