Smalltalk language limitation ?

Alan Kay alan.kay at squeakland.org
Tue Dec 7 17:28:45 UTC 2004

Hi Aaron --

At 08:21 PM 12/4/2004, Aaron Gray wrote:
>If my understanding is right then you cannot send a message to an object
>passed as a parameter to a method of another class.
>
>Is this correct ?

No. If you have a reference to an object, you can always send it a message.
Parameter passing is done by reference, as in LISP. This is not always a
good thing if there are multiple tasks, etc.

>What about messages to instance variables ?

Ditto.

>Have I lost it, or is this correct ?

It's not correct, but you haven't lost it. It's a reasonable thing to find
out in any language.

Cheers,

Alan