Cross Platform way to launch a system file or URL.

oxe sv04er502 at sneakemail.com
Wed Dec 8 18:18:56 UTC 2004

Howdy Folks.

We're developing a croquet app which does various things,
among them is include views and references to files which
are better viewed outside of croquet/squeak than in.

I'd like to have a cross-platform method for running
the OS's default viewer on files.

For example,
the Win32Shell method shellOpen: does this nicely.
You pass it "c:\hello.txt" and it opens the file
in notepad or whatever app the user has associated with .txt.

Even better, you pass it "http://croquetproject.org",
and it launches the user's preferred browser etc.

Is there a class which can do the same thing,
especially launching a URL,
on mac & *nix as well ?

thanks,
Orion