A roadmap for 3.9 (Plus, [BUG][FIX] Wonderland in Squeak 3.7)

Mark Guzdial guzdial at cc.gatech.edu
Thu Dec 9 22:04:57 UTC 2004

I'll raise a small note of concern.  Having a strong Squeak for
powerful engineering and research is good, but only if we don't lose
the features that make Squeak so exciting and on the path to a
Dynabook.

Case in point: Attached are two changesets for fixing Wonderland in
Squeak 3.7.  I haven't been Squeaking for awhile, but had the
opportunity recently to explore eToys with Wonderland with my son.  The
very first thing I did, "Wonderland new," generated TWO Wonderland
editors, with only one of them wired to the renderer.  I did some
digging and discovered the change (recent?) making "new" automatically
send "initialize," so Wonderland's class method "new" returning "super
new initialize" was sending "initialize" twice.  Whump the initialize,
and then we can start using Wonderland again.  The second changeset is
from Scott Wallace, and it allows for more eToy scripting with
Wonderland actors (e.g., for getting and setting X, Y, and Z
coordinates).  Thank you, Scott!  (The opinions about Squeak 3.9 voiced
in this note are my own and may not be shared by Scott.)

I don't mean to start a debate over whether "new" should send
"initialize".  I'll bet that there's a darn good argument based in
software engineering for making such a change.  The concern I have is
that the change was made WITHOUT propagating the necessary changes
through the rest of the system.  Wonderland broke, and nobody fixed it.
  Wonderland is one of the really cool features in Squeak that I'd
really miss if someone forced me to use VW or Dolphin.  In my opinion,
a developer making deep changes to a large system has a responsibility
to make sure that the rest of the system still works.

A strong software engineering infrastructure is great, but not if it
comes at a cost to the media and playful aspects of Squeak.

Mark