Squeak 3.9 Alpha Debuggers and yellow dot cursors

Ned Konz ned at squeakland.org
Fri Dec 10 01:56:30 UTC 2004

On Thursday 09 December 2004 2:17 am, Marcus Denker wrote:
> > whenever I get a debugger window (e.g. through self halt) the cursors
> > changes to a pointer with a yellow dot at its head. While the
> > yellow-dot-cursor is visible, squeak slows down notably.
> > Now when I click somewhere a blue rectangle is drawn and instantly
> > deleted again.
> > After that everything is back to normal.
> >
> > I'm not sure whether this is a bug, it sure feels like one to me, but
> > just wanted to get some confirmation beforehand.
>
> Yes, this is a bug. It would be nice to have it on officially on Mantis.
> (The bug is very strange, not that easy to reproduce and not yet
> fixed... )

What's happening may be that the yellow dot is some kind of HandleMorph that
has somehow become visible. Since these tend to be pretty busy (executing a
block on every step) it can slow you down considerably.

Ah, wait a minute: the blue rectangle, eh?

The blue rectangle is the new "easy selection" indication, I'd guess. I
haven't used it, but it's possible that its code is the culprit.

To draw an alpha-blended selection like that requires updating the area
frequently. And each update requires a redraw of each morph in the region.

--
Ned Konz
http://bike-nomad.com/squeak/