Bad News Sometimes Travels Slowly

Rick DeNatale rick.denatale at gmail.com
Fri Dec 10 04:25:02 UTC 2004

Time and circumstances have pulled me out of the day-to-day Smalltalk
community.  I was doing some research on the influences on VisualAge
for a contribution to the WikiPedia and when I was googling some old
friends discovered Sam Adams announcement of Dave Smith's passing this
past April.

I can see Dave up there in the heavenly equivalent of OOPSLA having
eternal beer and hors d'oeuvre fueled discussions with Jerry
Archibald.

Dave was a really good friend. He was one of the very few people in
the IBM Smalltalk community who was (physically) bigger than me.  Dave
was always ahead of us. I first ran across him when he published one
of the first e-mail distributed newsletters within IBM a little thing
called Bit Bucket. He was there in Watson coercing the IBM lawyers to
work out the issues in getting a copy of Berkley Smalltalk into the
company, while some of us were passing through on a temporary
assignment and coming up with poor-man substitutes like ClassC, but we
were united in the inspiration provided by that fateful Byte special
issue on Smalltalk-80.

Dave, Jerry, and John T. Richards were essential allies as we
development types got Smalltalk into customers hands, and had lots of
fun doing it.