[new to smalltalk] what does this error want to tell me?

Ingo Hohmann iho at gmx.de
Fri Dec 10 15:02:19 UTC 2004

Sorry, I sent the last mail too early.

Ingo Hohmann wrote:
> Dan Ingalls wrote:
> <...>
>
>> I think you'll want to...
>>
>> 1.  Fix Smalltalk obsoleteClasses so that it checks isObsolete as
>> well.
>

> OK, so Smalltalk obsoleteClasses not using isObsolete is seen as a bug,
> but is there a reason to check the classname, too?

More specifically, there are about 14 methods doing a string comparison
on the classname to check for obsolete classes, and 11 methods which use
isObsolete.

Is there a reason to _not_ use isObsolete? I'd rather guess it should be
more reliable than stringcomparison, just think about " ... why is this
class named ObsoleteSomething? Icalled it just Somthing before ... well,
I'll just rename it back ..." and textbased tests won't work anymore.

Thanks,

Ingo