update 6532 MNU

Lyndon Tremblay humasect at shaw.ca
Fri Dec 10 22:51:45 UTC 2004

RE: update 6532 MNU
  ----- Original Message -----
  From: Stoffel, Andrew
  To: The general-purpose Squeak developers list
  Sent: Friday, December 10, 2004 2:15 PM
  Subject: RE: update 6532 MNU

  > Ok I reorder it by hand and swaped the new version in the stream. And
  > it works for me. Can you try?

  (Just speaking for myself of course) I can now get past
  update 6532 BUT once it is complete I still get the warning:

  > >> MenuMorph(Morph)>>privateRemoveMorph: has been deprecated.
  > >> Use #removeMorph: instead.

  and also now the occasional:

       HandMorph(Morph)>>privateRemoveMorph: has been deprecated.
       Use #removeMorph: instead.

   Which I fixed by changing privateRemoveMorph to removeMorph
   in Morph privateAddMorph (I hope that was the proper fix)

  (tried to make a changeset for it but ended up with an empty file
   with a version and timestamp in it...)

  And now I'm dealing with a bunch of things that seem to be
  related to something in OSProcess being sort of "broken" by
  something after update 6485. (Okay, I know it isn't broken but
  getting MANY warnings about this when I didn't before updating
  is seriously annoying...)

  Like

      SystemDictionary>>platformName has been deprecated.
      Use SmalltalkImage current platformName

  and

      SystemDictionary>>getSystemAttribute: has been deprecated.
      Use SmalltalkImage current getSystemAttribute: attributeID

  Guess that is expected since OSProcess says it is compatible up
  to 3.7 only. Hopefully the fix will be as simple... Or did I miss
  something somewhere else? Or can/should I just remove OSProcess
  for now?

  -Andy-

Hm, shouldn't these sort of things happen in the UNSTABLE update stream? What ever happened to that? After the horde of Squeakland patches, we are back to the main stream?

If you can, create a new ChangeSet, name it your favorite color, and rename these deprecations with that ChangeSet active. Menu it and 'mail to list' (sorry for anything redundant here). It can be fun. Seems no one else publically announced they got them yet - you could/should be the first to undeprecate some/most of OSProcess. (like my MemoryUsage patch still in the pipe somewhere. It felt good charity-style even being such a mindless alteration)

sorry,

-Lyndon